Thursday, January 7, 2010

Handmade Holiday Gifts

The holidays are always such a busy time, full of great family time, sweet treats and, of course, handmade gifts.  This year, I wanted to do something really special for my girls.

They love to look through their baby clothes and ask, "Mama, did I really wear this?"  I choke back a lump in my throat and nod, "Yes, you did.  You wore that when you came home from the hospital (or to the park, or in the sandbox...)"  These tiny, sweet little items mean so much to us both, but they come out only occasionally (usually when I 'm looking for something else in the basement!)

While reading through Alicia Paulson's lovely book, Stitched in Time, I came across her pattern for a Baby Clothes Quilt.  What a perfect way to make use of those old baby things, keep the memories close by and be a part of my girls' daily lives (not just a question during a spring cleaning!)  What an amazing way to wrap my growing girls in love and warmth.

 

For Maggie's quilt, I felt like blue and red had to be the predominant colors, mostly because, as a baby, she was often wrapped in that cherry print baby blanket.  I cut pieces of her baby clothes and blankets into 5" squares, arranged them with some fabric squares from my stash and some quilt squares that my great-grandmother pieced together in the 70's.  Then, I bound it with some fabric from Amy Butler's new "Love" line (appropriate, no?)


 


For Ella, it had to be pinks and browns.  As my first-born girl, virtually everything the child wore for the first two years was...pink.  And all of my memories of her are somehow tinged with visions of cotton candy.  The result was charming and a perfect reflection of who she is.

So far, these quilts have kept girls snuggled in tight while curled up with a Nancy Drew mystery, they have kept them warm while having movie night with their Papa and they have served as doorways for living room "forts" made of blankets and furniture.  How many other ways will they be used, I wonder?  I imagine them stowing away as the girls head off to college in (gasp!) 10 and 12 years, but for now, they are keeping someone else snuggly warm...



Well, at least "The Boy" has good taste. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah.
    i love this post and can so relate to that sweet memory of my son as a baby in those tiny clothes...i've never made a quilt but i am thinking this would be a great thing to do with his baby things.
    i will be taking the creative "together" class with marisa and sean...same as you. just wanted to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiee Sarah, such a lovely post and i adore the idea of making a quilt out of your babies clothes! Such sweet memories and sooo meaningful! Both of your quilts are gorgeous! Looking forward to meet you in "Together" class next week! Have a lovely merry happy weekend and love to you!

    jacqueline
    http://jqlinesocuteithurts.typepad.com/

    ReplyDelete