Saturday, March 13, 2010

Spring Sewing

My annual urge to set the knitting needles aside a bit (just a bit!) was met in a timely manner by the arrival of Meg McElwee's new book, Sew Liberated.  In this beautiful book, I was excited to see the projects for the home, for myself and, especially, for the little ones in my life.  I pulled the Dapper Day Bag together with some of Denyse Schmidt's County Fair fabric and just love the was it turned out.  So...farmers market meets soccer mom...

With the applique and piping, this project was a bit of a stretch for me, in terms of my sewing skills, but Meg talked me through it with her clear instructions and her cheerleading, "Go slow and breathe."  This bag went with me yesterday on a 3rd grade field trip to the recycling facilities loaded down with a water bottle, lunch, hand sanitizer, tissues, band aids and, of course, my knitting project (for all those quiet moments on the school bus....ha!)  It was a great stuff-buster and it's stylish construction made me feel a little sassy.

Next, I was in a bit of a quandry at 9:00 pm last night about coming up with a darling birthday gift for my daughter's friend.  (Have you ever noticed that when you are a crafty mama, the pressure is sort of on to deliver The Cutest Presents/Cupcakes/Teacher Gifts???)  Meg helped with live up to the high bar with her Children's Tote.  This darling children's sized book bag sewed up quickly and is sure to be a 6-year-old pleaser!

I made it with 100% wool and some leftover Amy Butler Daisy Chain fabric from my stash.  With Meg's easy paper-backed fusible web applique method, stitching this cute doggie onto the bag was easy and very rewarding.  It sewed up so quickly, I still had time to watch two episodes of Mad Men!

These projects have been a great start to my spring sewing.  As soon as the sun comes out, I am consumed with visions of gardens and summer sewing projects.  Fortunately, I'm feeling Sew Liberated!

No comments:

Post a Comment